Webbuilder offers a full domain name service, including registration, parking or pointing (DNS configuration) and renewals. Contact Us.
Domain names are unique and is used as your address on the Internet. Most businesses register domains that are their company name, abbreviations of the company name or a specific brand or service.
Once a domain name is registered in a person or company name, no other person or company can use it.
Domain names consists of one or more parts:
- example.com – the com is the Top Level Domain (TLD)
There are now numerous domain name extensions available, e.g. .co.nz, .nz, .org, com.au, .city, etc.
Brief Tips on choosing a domain name:
- Use company/business name if possible (customers may remember your brand)
- Short as possible (less chance of mistyping, especially when used as email address)
- Simple words that are easy to spell (avoid double letters e.g. “ll” or plurals)
- Decide your marketing audience, if New Zealand based business, then domain extensions .co.nz and .nz still most popular. Some are now also using more common extention terms, when available e.g. .shop, .club
- Avoid hyphens (if possible) e.g. web-shop.nz , although it may be wise to register both webshop.nz and web-shop.nz
- Ideally use a term reflecting your business e.g. webbuilder.co.nz , however unique names can also work e.g. amazon.com does not mention “what they do”